Tuesday, July 15, 2008

wonder watch two - stillness of leaves



I like walking to work. Some might view it as a waste of time, but walking to work somehow gets my blood pumping and mind ticking before I have to talk to anybody. I have come to love my journey to work. The sights are predictable, but always changing. Currently there is a green vibrancy in the oak trees that line my path. They are so massive. We have greeted one another through some very cold, very wet, very hot, very windy days. They are wonderful walking companions.

A couple of days ago, however, while looking up at the green giants the stillness and quietness of the leaves was overwhelming. The glowing summer light shining through the shapes made by the overlapping leaves made me continue to look up in amazement. To reproduce such a sight in a photograph or artwork would be futile. Even more striking was the peacefulness of the leaves next to the hustle and bustle of the street beside me. People rushing to work, stereos blasting, lights changing, but the leaves and trees stood standing guard to all of it. I am glad I noticed the shining stillness of the trees because it gave me something else to look forward to in the summer and something else to admire in the sky.

The above image titled, "Mirror Image" is an intaglio and foil print.

No comments: