Saturday, September 20, 2008

wonder watch four: shades of orange


I seem to be noticing things about hair lately. I live not only by a beauty school, but also a hair salon that prides itself on the experimental use of colors and crazy cutting. Customers go in with normal locks and come out looking as though they have been attacked with a neon highlighter. I passed a guy with what appeared to be shades of Bert and Ernie's skin from Sesame on top of his head the other day. Sometimes it looks really cool and I wish I had enough gumption to be so bold, other times, however, it is not so successful.

It has made me question why we chose to alter our hair at all. There are so many products. Both men and women can become obsessed with the change, loss, and appearance of hair. Don't get me wrong, I have been known to be particular about my hair, I get it cut and fancy a drastic change every now and then. Maybe it is nature's built in way to express oneself. It is one of the easiest things to change, although it can be risky and at times very costly. Maybe if we start to measure hair on expressiveness rather than shininess, silkiness, or overall wonderfulness the world would work differently. One thing is for sure, there would be a lot more shades of electric orange, green, pink and hopefully purple.

The adjoining drawing is titled, wonder woman three (2008), and is drawn with charcoal and conte crayon.

No comments: